Tuesday, February 12, 2013

Ordinary 5 Tuesday


As you go through your day, what is it that you think about? I know that my mind can get filled with all kinds of thoughts- about work and worries, plans and regrets, hopes and resentments, daydreams and memories. Some of it’s good, some of it’s bad.

However, how often during our day do we think about God? In today’s gospel, Jesus laments that while some people honor God with their lips, their hearts are far from him. And when Jesus speaks about the heart, he’s not talking about feelings. Instead, he’s referring to our thoughts. In other words, then, Jesus is telling us that God wants us to think about him- a lot!

Unfortunately, because we’re so busy and get distracted so often, it’s easy for God to get pushed out of our minds. That’s why we need to make a concerted, intentional effort to lift up our hearts and direct our thoughts toward him throughout the day.
I’ve heard it said that how we start our day makes a big impact on how we spend the rest of the day. That’s why I’ve been trying, every morning, to offer a little prayer in which I ask the Lord to help me turn all of my anxious, resentful, proud, envious, and otherwise ungodly thoughts into opportunities for prayer, so that my mind might be directed toward God, instead of those things that separate me from him.

Nothing profound, to be sure, but it’s one little way I can think a bit more about God who, after all, is thinking about all of us, all the time.
 
 
 

No comments: