Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Lent 2 Tuesday


When my young son asked about a certain word he’d heard, I explained that he shouldn’t use it under any circumstances. "But Dad," he objected, "I’ve heard you use it!" Oops… I’d taught him: "Do as I say, but not as I do."

I was like the religious leaders in today’s gospel who didn’t practice what they preached. But that might be said about any of us. Most of us have been guilty of talking the talk, without walking the walk.

Sometimes we realize this and don’t "preach" at all, when actually we should be saying something. For instance, parents might avoid speaking about sex or drinking or drugs with their children, because their own histories are, shall we say, less than perfect.

So what’s to do? If we say something, others might roll their eyes; but if we say nothing, they might turn their eyes elsewhere and discover the wrong answers. Thankfully, Jesus suggests a way forward when he spoke of humility in today’s gospel. We can admit that we’re less than perfect, and place ourselves beside those we instruct, instead of exalting ourselves above them. Because at one level, we all stand before Christ as students before our teacher, servants before our master, sinners before our savior.

Should we do this, what others will hear is: "Do as Jesus says…not as I do."



(My book of daily meditations for Lent is now available from Ave Maria Press:https://www.avemariapress.com/product/1-59471-363-4/The-Living-Gospel-Daily-Devotions-for-Lent-2013/ It is available also at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Daily-Devotions-Lent-Living-Gospel/dp/1594713634/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1335995419&sr=8-1 )

No comments: